Enhancing your natural lip color
We love experimenting with vibrant shades of lipstick; yet every once in a while, the occasion calls for a neutral, natural lip color. Since there are so many options to choose from, our team compiled several recommendations that can help enhance your natural lip color, helping you make your lips just a little bit darker or pinker. We’ve selected the top three for each skin tone to highlight below.
1. Revlon ColorBurst Balm Stain – Honey: A dusty pink that stains without being drying or uncomfortable. However, on some people it turns into a neon pink after a few hours, so hold on to your receipt in case it does this to you!
2. Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick – Pink in the Afternoon: An opaque, warm-toned light-medium pink. This color is a little different from the others listed here in that it’s a pink without any dusty or brown undertones, so it’s like a “my lips but pinker” lipstick with a nice brightening effect. It’s a cream formula and lasts around three hours. It’s fairly comfortable to wear – neither drying nor hydrating. Since it’s quite warm, this color may not look flattering if you have cool undertones.
3. NYX Butter Lipstick – Pops (BLS17): A semi-opaque mauve. The color leans a little cool, so it may not be optimal if you have very warm undertones. The formula is creamy but gets mixed reviews on how moisturizing it is.
1. Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter – Pink Truffle: A brownish pink that’s buildable from sheer to semi-opaque. It has a glossy sheen and feels smooth and comfortable on the lips. This shade lasts around three hours. However, if your skin is towards the darker end of the medium spectrum, this may look more “nude” on you.
2. Milani Color Statement Lipstick – Naturally Chic: An opaque rosy pink with a creamy formula that lasts about three to four hours. There is a strong watermelon scent initially, but the smell does fade within ten minutes or so.
3. MAC Lipstick – Cosmo: An opaque pink with some brown undertones. The amplified creme formula is strongly pigmented and fairly comfortable. This shade lasts around four to five hours.
1. Jordana Twist & Shine Balm Stain – Terra Crave: A reddish brown terracotta color. As a balm-stain hybrid, it’s comfortable to wear and leaves a long-lasting stain. This shade can also work for people with light or medium skin, warm undertones, and fairly pigmented lips.
2. Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter – Fig Jam: A deep reddish brown that’s buildable from sheer to semi-opaque. It has a glossy sheen and feels smooth and comfortable on the lips. While the balmy feeling fades after a couple of hours, the color hangs on for another hour or so.
3. Revlon ColorBurst Lacquer Balm – Coy: A deep brown that leans a little rosy. It has a glossy finish, an initial minty smell/taste that fades, and is sheer but buildable. It also has a little gold shimmer (not as much as some of the other lacquer balms), which remains behind as the color fades. It’s pretty comfortable to wear, and the color lasts about two to three hours.
If you have any other favorite natural lipstick colors, please let us know by sharing in the comments!